With the expiry of our Strategic Plan for 2013-2018, the Board of Governors and the institution’s leadership decided to develop an updated strategic plan. As was the case during the previous term, the Strategic Plan for 2019-2024 was developed through a participative process, by consulting with Board members, the university senate, and the faculty, as well as other staff members, the student population, partners, and stakeholders in the province’s Acadian and francophone community.
A review of the outcomes of the Strategic Plan for 2013-2018 shows that more than 95% of the targets, initiatives, and projects highlighted in the plan were achieved or exceeded, which provides evidence of the will to make strategic planning a priority for the institution.
More than 120 people made contributions to the new strategic plan. Following the consultation process, we developed a draft version of the plan, which was submitted to the academic community, Université Sainte-Anne staff members, and stakeholders involved in the consultation, so that they could provide comments, feedback and suggestions. We are pleased to present the final version of our strategic plan.
While it is true there remain challenges that need to be overcome, there is, among those consulted as part of the strategic planning process, a will to mobilize the human resources of the institution and its partners in order to make a concentrated collective effort to alleviate those challenges or even to translate them into opportunities.
My hope is that this strategic plan will guide Université Sainte-Anne to new heights, which will ensure that the institution is strategically well positioned for the future.
A flagship institution for francophone Canada in Nova Scotia, Université Sainte-Anne is recognized for the excellence of its education and research programs, as well as its welcoming environment. It is an institution that is open to the world, but has successfully retained its human scale and provides a unique living environment within an exceptional cultural experience.
Rooted in Nova Scotia’s Acadian community1, Université Sainte-Anne is focused on creating and mobilizing knowledge through a distinctive and individualized approach. It is proud of its francophone identity and provides a unique opportunity for learning, research, innovation, and growth in French.
- The Acadian Identity and Culture: a historical and cultural connection to Acadie and Francophonie.
- Knowledge and Innovation: rigour and performance in the renewal of knowledge, programming, services, and practices.
- The French Language: a requirement of high-level proficiency in the use and mastery of French.
- Openness to Diversity: an attitude of inclusiveness, respect, curiosity, and understanding towards others.
- Quality of Life and the Environment: a stimulating setting to study and work, in a friendly atmosphere that is respectful of the environment.
- Collaboration: a commitment by members of the university community and its partners to work together to achieve shared goals.
Recruitment, Retention and the Student Experience
A new institutional strategy for recruiting students will be developed with a view to increase student enrolment. Université Sainte-Anne aims to distinguish itself from the competition by offering a uniquely friendly and accessible environment on its five campuses throughout the province, while promoting academic excellence. Various activities of experiential learning will supplement its programs of studies, in order to prepare citizens of tomorrow. Learning support programs will be made available to the student population, in order to foster academic success. Actions will be taken to promote an engaging and enriching life for students.
Actions - Student Recruitment
- Develop a new recruiting strategy, along with an implementation plan for provincial, national and international targets.
- Continue recruitment efforts that target graduates from the CSAP as a privileged partner.
- Encourage alumni and friends, through the Association des alumni de l’Université Sainte-Anne, to increase their efforts to promote the institution through active participation in the recruitment process.
- Increase the number of scholarships and student financial assistance opportunities.
Actions - The Student Experience
- Maintain efforts intended to offer various programs of socio-cultural, artistic, recreational, and sports activities, to ensure the provision of an active-living environment within an enriching cultural and natural setting.
- Develop a culture of engagement in the student population.
- Continue efforts to improve services provided through the library.
- Minimize physical, psychological, and social barriers to learning.
- Foster an open, respectful, and inclusive environment.
- Modernize campus infrastructure.
Innovation and Excellence in Education and Research
Université Sainte-Anne will increase its efforts to promote quality education and research by supporting the faculty in their endeavours. It will strengthen its research areas and strategic interdisciplinary fields, and it will encourage innovation on all levels.
- Enchance support to professors in their efforts to create, transmit, and mobilize knowledge.
- Increase support to professors in the use of university-level teaching strategies.
- Implement programs of study that are current, inspiring, and able to meet the needs of today’s student population and society.
- Expand opportunities for experiential learning.
- Promote the involvement of students in research processes.
- Encourage interdisciplinary research.
One of Université Sainte-Anne’s key characteristics is its physical presence in five regions of Nova Scotia. The institution and its staff will engage with their communities and promote their development through research, innovation, and knowledge transfer. Université Sainte-Anne will implement meaningful and sustainable partnerships in education, community development, management, health, culture, and science. It intends to continue to play a leadership role and be an essential partner in its communities.
- Facilitate increased engagement of the student population with the community.
- Engage in a dialogue with Aboriginal communities.
- Implement formative and sustainable projects with partners.
- Encourage researchers to develop research projects forge solid collaborations with community, government and private stakeholders.
- Promote the added value of including both official languages in the institution’s activities.
Université Sainte-Anne will increase its efforts to promote the achievements of its professors, students, centres, and laboratories, as well as any community service provided by its staff members. It will devote efforts and resources to strengthening the reputation and profile of the institution, by highlighting its achievements and evidence-based outcomes.
- Develop Université Sainte-Anne’s profile by enhancing the strategic dissemination of its achievements at the local, provincial, national, and international levels.
- Enhance the dissemination of the achievements of the student population, faculty, and staff in education, research, and community service.
- Augment the institution’s visibility in English-speaking media.
The Digital World
Our digital heritage includes all material (written documents, pictures, paintings, other artistic contributions, architecture) that can be digitized. Simply put, digital technology affects all aspects of life today. Université Sainte-Anne will increase its efforts to use digital technology in education, research, communication, and management. The institution’s digital positioning will extend to all aspects of the university.
- Create digital content for the university’s programs of study.
- Incorporate into the university’s programs of study learning activities that equip students for the digital era.
- Diversify the provision of learning activities by leveraging the opportunities provided by digital tools, in order to meet the constantly evolving needs of students.
- Optimize the use of digital technology in information management for the institution.
- Equip the institution with the high-performance tools and devices that are required for the university’s day-to-day operations.